Why You Need A Solid Wood Front Door For Your Home?
The front doors are important because they help complete the overall look of your home. The main purpose of having a front door is to give your home security but if chosen rightly they can help give your home a personality of its own. The entry door keeps your home safe from sunlight, rain, snow, and even intruders. If it is the functionality you are going after then any would do but if you are looking for something more than that, then the decision would require a little attention. There are a lot of variations and options in the kind of front door you can have, steel door, glass door, solid wood front door and much more. Of all the options that are available to you, the solid wood doors are the most common of them all.
Pros vs. cons
Every decision comes with its own sets of good and bad points. The one which outweighs the other ends up winning the battle. When choosing a front door, it is important that you consider the pros and cons of your choice and analyze your choice against the factors you can never compromise on.
Some of the possible benefits of getting a solid wood door have been mentioned below.
- The solid wood front doors bring a lot of versatility and character to your home. They are usually not finished off with the paint. In fact, their natural wood grain is usually tainted to give the door a more natural yet earthy finish. Watching the natural innuendos in the wood come out for the display is soothing yet appealing.
- Another factor to consider when you are looking at the positive factors associated with the front doors is the versatility. There are so many different types of woods that are used in making the solid wood front doors. From a deep mahogany to the traditional oak and rustic cedar, there are so many options to choose from. Each wood has its own personality and you always have the option of customizing it to your liking. Adding panels, some special effects, getting designs cut into them are just some of the many ways of giving your doors a more customized look.
- The wood doors are more durable and solid. Unlike glass which is often not as durable and secure, solid woods are a preferred choice for this reason primarily.
- If you are looking for sound proof doors, then you always have the option of adding insulation to your doors. This would definitely not be economical but it will be worth it if you can keep all the unnecessary sounds out of your home.
- No matter how big or small the door is, the solid wood front doors can always be custom made to fit any size. Since this material is easy to cut and handle, you can have it fit any custom size or style you want. Do you want to have glass windows cut into the door? This is possible if you have a wood front door.
- The solid wood is engineered for the front door. If it has solid stiles and rails engineered into it, then the door will not only have a backbone but would prevent the door from warpage as well. Usually, two pieces of wood are laminated together to provide more strength and stability to the door.
- If a solid wood front door is properly made, finished, and installed, it can practically last a whole lifetime. All you need to do is take care of it properly. The solid wood front doors get scratches easily but then it is just that easy to have them repaired.
Let’s take a look at some of the downsides now.
- This has to be the biggest and yet the most troubling factor about the solid wood front doors. They are high-maintenance and usually require a lot of maintenance and attention. The more you look after them, the more they would last. The solid wood front doors tend to absorb moisture and this can often make them swell over time. In order to keep the doors intact, you will have to reseal the insulation and the outer coating after every few years.
- The solid wood doors are heavy. This would mean that over time, the doors may sag over time and would lose their strength eventually.
- They are a little expensive compared to the other options you have in the market. When you start adding the extra features to increase the durability and weather resistance of the solid wood front doors, the price can hike up even higher.
Market survey can save you money
Before you decide on it, do not forget to survey the market for all the solid wood front door options you have. It will help make sure that you are making the right choice. If you like a design, you can always get it custom made as well as per the size of your front door. Not only will this help you save some money but would also make sure that you can find a market competitive price. The solid wood doors do not come cheap. A survey is very important, therefore, to judge the credibility of your decision.
When you are getting doors made from your homes, there are a lot of features to consider. Each wood has its own personality and character. Go for the one that would blend well with your home and its exterior. It is important that you look through all the available options that fall within your budget. It is not just about the door but the overall look of your home too. Make sure that you do not haste the decision.